The importance Marijuana genetic library as a matter of home growing
Growing a plant from a single seed is every time a magic moment, as you contemplate all the beauty of Creation, and you love a plant from the first small leaves appearing till the last moment you CUT AND BURN it for same of get yourself HIGH. A phylosophical question if the latter is a part of creation too, however we also kill tomatoes and pigs, just like the Creators wanted, let’s leave it to philosophers.
Seeds are the basis of the genetic storage, or genetic bank whatever you call it. Every seed is a unique piece of the Universe like any human as a creature of our own kind. Each seed as an individual is carrying its individual properties. Each seed shall grow its unique way, as humans do living a unique life, giving individual reactions on the environmental changes. As for seeds it you, the grower, who create this environment and apply these changes also implementing experiments and log about what is happening to the plant. Yah! Keeping notes is important, try keep it for each plant, mark them and miss no single day. I bet you’ll understand soon, why it that.
Weed requires care like a puppy
The individuality is logically bringing the issue of an individual care. Of course we can go “standard” or being close to make them all standard. However a plant is a living being — you never know for sure what is best for each plant in the growing room! Like a puppy, for example, you never know if a food fits perfect for him or if he really liked it very much, and what will be the digestion. A living being, and the responsibility follows.
Even though seeds bank do great job for us, each seed is still an individual. Therefore we have 100 “puppies” in the growing room, or a six of them sitting in the growing tent (depending if it is an industrial matter or a home grow). One is too weak, the other is too purple, the third is too hungry while getting too high, blocking lights for the neighboring one. All “nightmares” of the nursery.
Genetics is a relatively simple solution, as you clone plants
Cloning can solve the issue, if it is ever an issue. You clone the best plants and you get the whole army of the perfect warriors like in Star Wars. You actually skip a germination having already a started ones. There are pros and cons as always, but yes, this is what happens when you are busy with cloning instead of nersery, you play Star Wars so to say. You copy hundreds copies from a Mother plant, they go all same, showing all same reactions, all same resistance to pets, all same color, THC level, etc, etc.
When does the Marijuana genetic library become essential
For a professional marijuana growing, or trouble free growing, or when you grow for a while family and want it be going easier; then cloning may become desirable, not yet “essential”.
For commercial production it is somewhat ESSENTIAL to have a genetic library (or call it a genetic bank). Because you are already responsible as you supply weed to customers. And what if they are medical patients? You print THC levels on a package, then you need to pass compliance, and buy a ton of fertilizer in advance and want the same reaction from the plants, all these makes it more “essential”. Excuses they are, I’m kidding.
How To Clone Marijuana Plant
This is what agricultural professionals do through, maybe, thousand years already with all kind of plants of different purposes: Select the “donor plant”, sometimes they call it “mother plant”, and cut a healthy-looking branch from it. Basically, the one you’ve liked. Simple as that!
Here we go the Hints:
1) Use a very clean instrument. It is also a surgery for the cannabis plant, you damage it, it is distressed, and then it reacts to the damage. No need to explain why the instrument must be clean, or even extremely clean for the surgery.
2) Pretty same reason (because it is a surgery for the cannabis plant) for having this already clean cutting tool that you use, scissors or a blade, sharpest possible to provide less damage.
3) The direction of a cut must go at an angle, not 90 degrees, but a diagonal angle, roughly 45 degrees. Make the cut close to the main stem.
4) Choose the branch with few nodes. Say 3 to 5 nodes. However this is also a creative work, by means — perform your own experiments. Just remember keeping notes of what you do 😉 After all you need a “genetic library” to succeed with your genetic experiments over cannabis, but be patient and attentive, it’s not one or two attempts, and it’s not one or two cuts:
5) Make the full operation while the vegetative stage of the mother plant (pre-flowering). It may also work while flowering, but then it is a greater distress for the clone plant. After the cut the new clone will apply for vegetative stage, but if it was flowering a-minute-ago then the whole situation form a greater distress for the plant.
6) The following rooting may take one-two weeks. Put the clone plant to a moisture environment with the lower end of it in water, until the roots start appearing, then send it into a pot. One-two inches of a new root is already fine, but then:
Every plant is a unique piece of Universe, while the clones are not! Try different ways for the clones from same mother or different mothers, make notes of what you do, and you’ll finally discover the best algorithm of your own for your own “perfect warrior”.
7) To improve the rooting some growers cut half of leaves of the clone, so that having smaller leaves it’ll give more efforts to the roots and the last may become stronger.
8) Notes are essential, right because it is a sort of a scientific hobby. Mark the pots with clones, put the labels, note all steps of what you are doing to them, where you cut from, when you cut, how long were the roots, etc. etc. This all shall allow you to come back to what was happening, what was good and what was not.
It is a creative process — don’t be shy with your own experiments.